The state said the killing was premeditated: Pistorius armed himself, attached his prosthetic legs and walked 7 meters before shooting Reeva Steenkamp, who had come to spend the night, through the bathroom door, prosecutors said.
Pistorius fired four times, prosecutors said; Steenkamp was struck thrice inside a locked bathroom.
He “shot and killed an innocent woman,” senior state prosecutor Gerrie Nel said.
As Nel spoke, Pistorius buried his face in his hands.
But defense attorney Barry Roux said the shooting was not premeditated; Pistorius shot his girlfriend thinking she was a burglar, he said.
The prosecution doubted that assertion, asking why a burglar would lock up in a bathroom.
But Roux questioned how the prosecution would know Pistorius attached his prosthetic legs and walked to the bathroom. Police have said Pistorius and Steenkamp, now deceased, were the only ones in the home.
The global sports hero, known as the “Blade Runner,” was in court for a bail hearing Tuesday. The last time the world saw images of Pistorius was when he was initially charged Friday, when the track star crumbled upon hearing the word “murder.”
The courtroom scenes are a far cry from the packed stadiums that erupted in applause for the double-amputee who dared to compete against men with legs.
- Oscar Pistorius heads to court as slain girlfriend will be laid to rest – CNN International (edition.cnn.com)
- Oscar Pistorius’ girlfriend shot 4 times through bathroom door, official says (cnn.com)
- Oscar Pistorius’ girlfriend shot 4 times through bathroom door, official says (edition.cnn.com)
- New details emerge in Oscar Pistorius case – USA TODAY (usatoday.com)
- Pistorius Charged with Premeditated Murder (breitbart.com)
- ‘Roid Rage? Steroids reportedly found in Bladerunner’s home (foxnews.com)
- Oscar Pistorius and the Bloodied Cricket Bat in His Bedroom (tvaraj.com)
- Oscar Pistorius’ girlfriend shot 4 times through bathroom door, official says (fox59.com)